Rooms & Apartments
Tsangarada, Agios Ioannis - Papa Nero beach, Mouressi, Pilion (Pelion) 37012, Greece
Cell: +306972484809, Tel: +302426031624
MHTE: 0726K113K02735-0
Paths on mt Pelion

Walking on the paths of Pelion constitutes a unique experience, for every time you walk even on the same path, different feelings arise.

Sometimes you will walk with warm weather under the sun, other times with cold weather, under the sun, rain or mist…

In the morning or in the dusk, in spring or in winter, you will walk trying to avoid the numerous mushrooms, which are one of the nature’s gifts, and breath the fresh, mountainous air of Pelion.

Walking on the paths of Pelion is an alternative, inexpensive leisure activity, which can be combined with a series of other activities, such as photograph, exploration, visit of monuments, etc., offering also a valuable for health exercise.

In this section and in cooperation with walking-pelion.blogspot.gr will introduce you, some of the paths of Pelion, in order to provide useful information to interested hikers.

Please follow below links to find information on some of the paths in Pelion:

  • Distance: 5,1 km
    Duration: 2 hours (incl. return), walking time 1.35
    Altitude: from 0 m. (Afissos) to 252 m.(Niaou square)
    Marking: red marks, round yellow signs
    Drinking water on the route: no

    The route at Wikiloc in Google map

    In this route, we climb from the seaside resort of Afissos to the village of Afetes (formerly called Niaou, a slavic name meaning pen, still in use by locals) following a dry riverbed, an exciting and demanding walk that is best avoided if the weather is rainy, for obvious reasons. Then we return to Afissos by the main kalderimi (most of which is now covered by asphalt) passing by the graveyard, enjoying a spectacular view of the sea on our way down.

    Starting from Abovos beach just south of Afissos, at the corner of Marabou restaurant, we walk on a concrete road vertical to the beach, initially heading east. After 700 m. the road takes a sharp right bend becoming asplhalt and continues towards Niaou. At this point, we walk straight ahead in a northerly direction on an earth road and at a fork we go left. The road goes by the side of Halorema stream and soon, following the red marks, we find ourselves walking into the riverbed, surrounded by the rocky banks under the cool shade of high trees, birds singing and all. It is an exciting experience and not too demanding, although we must exercise attention not to slip on the rocks, especially if they happen to be wet. There are some sections of path on the side of the stream, and another stream (Kalarites) eventually joins from the right.

    After about 1,5 km of walking in these slightly adventurous conditions, we reach a rock where a tall plane tree grows. Here, the members of the local syllogos (Cultural association of Afetes) are planning to build a woodbridge to facilitate access. For the time being, we climb rather easily to the rock, only to find a kalderimi on its top that climbs steeply to the right. If we are on the opposite course (that is, from Niaou to Afissos), we must apply high caution not to slip on the way down. Here a side rail would be extremely useful.

    Further up, we pass by Karkanteli fountain, cross a concrete road and continue climbing on kalderimi that leads us to the village square featuring the old church of St. John the Baptist.

    A stop at the taverna for food or just a refreshment is welcome, and then we continue on flat stone paved road to reach the parking space, where we turn immediately left to find a kalderimi that leads to the stone arched bridge of Fraggakis, over the homonymous stream.

    On the other side, we continue uphill on kalderimi in a southwesterly direction and exit the village. Passing by the graveyard on the right, the kalderimi opens to an asphalt road, on which we walk downhill, between olive groves. Further down, as the asphalt takes a sharp left bend, there is a small stretch of kalderimi marked with red spots, conveniently cutting the corner.

    Walking another 500 m. on the asphalt, we reach a newly built tourist accomodation (Karavia villas). Here, instead of continuing onto the asphalt all the way down, we suggest to follow an alternate, more pleasant route. So, at the upper corner of Karavia villas we turn right on a narrow earth road next to the concrete fence. Soon another earth road joins from the left and we continue straight ahead, having another fence on the left, then a low stone wall (pezoula). We turn left following the course of the stone wall and then right on a downhill path-kalderimi that opens to an asphalt road at the outskirts of Afissos. After 100 m. on the asphalt, we turn left on a concrete road that further down is flat stone paved. At the end we turn right and immediately left at the corner of The Garden of Eden guesthouse, into a wider stone paved road that opens to the Afissos square, on the right side of the fountain facing the sea.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr
  • Distance: 3,1 km one way (6,2 km with return)
    Duration: 1,5 h. total time one way (walking time 1 h one way)
    Altitude: from 472 m. (Zagora) to sea level (Horefto)
    Signed with red marks and metal signs
    Drinking water on route: no

    The route at Wikiloc in Google maps

    There are two main kalderimi (cobbled stone way) routes linking Zagora and Horefto, one starting from Agios Georgios square and another from Metamorphosis (or Sotira) church, so one can use both to make a circular walk. Of course, one can walk one way and return by bus (see timetables at www.ktelvolou.gr) or taxi. It is advisable to wear long trousers and hiking shoes and also carry a garden cutter if available, because there are still some problems with vegetation (mainly in the Agios Georgios route), despite efforts to keep the routes clean.

    Starting from the lower corner of Agios Georgios square in Zagora, opposite to the church, we walk on the asphalt to the right, in a southerly direction. Reaching the post office after 50 m., we turn left downhill on kalderimi, passing next to a renovated mansion, then turn left downhill. The kalderimi opens to the main asphalt, where we turn right and walk for another 30 m. to find again the kalderimi on the left (next to a signpost to Iliachtida ). Further down it gets covered by concrete and opens out to the asphalt going to Horefto, just above the old building that used to house the school of the national hero Rigas Velestinlis in late 18th century (there is a sign SXOLEIO RIGA  ).

    Walking on the asphalt for another 50 m., we find again the kalderimi on the left. Further down it becomes an earth road. Reaching a T-junction we head left, among apple tree groves. We can see sections of cobbled stone into the road. A little further down, as the road takes a downhill right turn (attention) we go left to find the kalderimi that is half covered by soil and barely visible. We pass a small stream and walk on a narrow path following its left bank for a few meters also stepping over a water tube, then a section of kalderimi again, then earth road.
    Reaching a junction with two other roads, we take a sharp right turn. Our road soon turns left and at this point (attention), just after the end of the turn, we climb down to the right, noticing the red marks on a concrete ditch. For a few meters the kalderimi is invisible, covered by soil, but then emerges again going downhill on a straight line. There is a wooden fence on the right and then the kalderimi gets completely blocked by brumble. We have to climb to the grove on the right side and walk parallel to the blocked section, just next to it into the grove. After about 40 m., it clears up and we can follow it again.

    Soon our path reaches the site of the agricultural cooperative of Zagora ( Zagorin ). We have to climb down a steep slope to get to the earth road above the site. Here steps should be made to facilitate access to the road. At the corner of the concrete fence we go right, following its course around the estate. Reaching a large metal door at the fence, we go left to find the kalderimi a few meters down below, heading east on a straight line.
    After a little while, there is a cottage with a stone fence in front of us. We walk down among dense vegetation for a few meters next to the fence to the entrance, then follow the concrete road and cross the asphalt. There is yet another fence at the left. We cross the asphalt again and walk on concrete road on the other side. As the road turns left (attention), the course of the kalderimi continues straight ahead. At this point there is a sign XOREYTO and a small metallic side rail to help climbing down. After a few meters of uneven surface, we walk again comfortably on kalderimi.

    Reaching the asphalt again as it takes a right turn, we go left on a narrow road to find the kalderimi immediately on our right. It opens to a concrete road and then to the asphalt again. In a few meters we take a concrete road on the right leading to a private property entrance, only to find the kalderimi next to the fence. We finally reach the seaside road of Horefto. There is a parking lot on the left with a fountain and a kiosk at the corner. On the other side is the fence of Aeolos hotel. Checking the watch, it took us about 1 h.15` to descend from Zagora.

    Now it`s time to return. Walking on the road to the north (to the left) along the seashore, just before it takes the left turn going to Zagora, we go left next to a market shop and walk on concrete way between houses, thus avoiding the asphalt and cutting the corner. We cross the asphalt and continue climbing steadily on cocncrete road next to Aegeus  hotel, noticing a signpost to  Zagora at the corner. The road has a stone paved central lane. After five minutes the concrete covering ceases, revealing the kalderimi that was underneath.
    We pass by an underground water tank on the left of the kalderimi, which keeps climbing until it joins an earth road at an angle. If we go left here, after 100 m. we shall meet an alternative path that joins the main route further up. Continuing on the main route though, we follow the earth road to the right, and in 50 m. go left uphill at a junction. If we look carefully at the road, we shall see some traces of kalderimi. The road keeps climbing with zigzags, then joins another road and we go right. In 50 m. we go left uphill at another junction. Again we see bits of kalderimi as the road passes by a grove on the right, then comes an uphill section of concrete and we reach an irrigation ditch. Here the alternate path joins in from the left. On the right a wide and clear kalderimi appears and we follow it. Soon it becomes concrete road again, climbing steadily on a straight line.

    We pass by an old derelict stone house, the road turns right and 150 m.after the turn (attention), noticing the red marks, we go left to a narrow road and immediately right, to a path that soon joins the kalderimi. Further up, it opens out at an earth road on a bend, and continues to the right. Climbing in chestnut forest, the kalderimi suffers from landslides just as we do (pay attention to slipping), and finally opens to an earth road next to a horse stable and a hiking signpost. In a few meters we join a wider uphill road, that leads to the church of Metamorphosis, also called Sotira by locals. The present church was built in 1889 to replace the old, dating from 1168 (the oldest church in Zagora), after its total destruction by landslides and fire.

    We enter the church yard, climb the stairs and welcome a fountain on the left, with plentiful cool water. After a few more steps, we join an uphill concrete road that features a centre lane of kalderimi (Voltou str.), that finally opens to the main asphalt of Zagora, at the corner of Anasa hotel. If we walk to the left on the asphalt, in 10 minutes we will reach Agios Georgios square.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr
  • Distance: 7,8 km
    Duration: 3 hours (walking time 2.20 )
    Altitude: from 530 m. (Kissos) to 380 m. (Mouresi) to 0 m. (Ai Giannis)
    Signing: signs, small round signs, red marks
    Drinking water on route: yes

    The route at Wikiloc in Google map

    This is another excellent walk in East Pelion. Starting from Kissos village square, walking mostly on cobbled stone path (kalderimi), we pass through Mouresi village, to end up at the sandy beach of Ai Giannis and have a swim in the Aegean sea. One can return back to Kissos by bus (www.ktelvolou.gr).
    At Kissos village square, next to the main church of Agia Marina (worthy of a visit to admire the magnificent 18th century iconostasis and the neo-byzantine style frescos by painter Pagonis), we walk initially on a concrete downhill road, turning right as we follow the square`s stone wall (ignore a junction to the left). Soon concrete covering stops, revealing the kalderimi underneath.
    Walking downhill in chestnut forest, on kalderimi with sections of road, we reach a junction and go right, passing by an old fountain devoid of water, then reach another junction and continue downhill on the left. Eventually, we cross the main asphalt (here lies a small fountain with drinking water) and continue at the other side on concrete road, amongst a few houses. This settlement is called Mavroutsa and we pass next to the renovated church of Agios Konstantinos. After the church, we head right at a junction and pass by a wooden kiosk.

    We now walk on earth road that takes a sharp left turn and continue along the course of the stream on our right side. In the distance we can see the Aegean sea. The road takes an S bend (ignore a narrow road on the left) and then, watching out for the red marks, we turn right to a path becoming soon a kalderimi as we keep going downhill. Eventually, we pass over the new metal bridge of Kissotiko stream, in a beautiful setting under the shade of large plane trees.
    We continue on the other side on kalderimi-path that opens at an earth road and head left, to pass a secondary stream. Watching on the right side of the road, we find easily the newly built kalderimi, climbing between dense vegetation. It opens at another earth road, next to a stone kiosk and we follow it to the left at an easterly direction. This road also eventually leads to Mouresi.
    After a little while, there is another uphill section of kalderimi at the right, opening out at the main asphalt at the west edge of Mouresi village. We walk on the asphalt for 200 m. and then follow a kalderimi on the left that soon takes us to Panagia church. It crosses a concrete road and continues underneath the church until it joins a narrow asphalt. Following that, we reach the main square of Mouresi, featuring Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) church and a taverna.

    After a refreshing stop at the peaceful shady square of Mouresi, we continue left to the church and to the playground on kalderimi in an easterly direction. It soon becomes concrete road with a central stone paved lane. At a junction we head left downhill and after 30 m., as the road turns left, we find the kalderimi on the right. Eventually, it opens on a sharp bend of the asphalt going to Damouchari. After 100 m. on the asphalt (ignore a narrow kalderimi on the left first), noticing the red marks, we take the wide kalderimi to the left. Further down, after crossing the asphalt, we reach a kalderimi junction, where the right one goes to Damouchari.
    We continue on the left, then cross the asphalt again at a junction and continue in between the roads (left to Ai Giannis, right to Damouchari) to another section of kalderimi that joins the asphalt again. After 200 m. on the road, as it turns left, watching out on the right for the red marks down below, we barely see the kalderimi that is covered for a few meters with fallen soil and stones (this stretch of the road is recently repaired).

    Further down, we join the asphalt again and after a final stretch of kalderimi on the left, we reach the camping site near the sea. The tourist location of Ai Giannis is on the left, while on the right lies the excellent sandy beach of Papa nero.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr
  • Distance: 17,2 km Duration: 7-7,5 hours with stops (walking time: 5.50)
    Altitude: from 620 m. (Makrinitsa) to 1590 m. (Pourianos Stavros) to 490 m (Pouri)
    Signed with: red marks, some metal signs
    Drinking water on route: Agia Paraskevi of Makrinitsa

    The route at Wikiloc in Google maps

    This used to be the shortest route from Volos to Pouri, 5 hours by mule. It also is the highest trail one can walk in Pelion mountain, reaching a maximum altitude of almost 1600 meters. Following the construction of military radars at Pourianos Stavros in the late 60`s, the peak became a restricted military zone and the trail was abandoned. Over the last years though, guarding is less strict than it used to be. Anyway, this particular route avoids the installations at the top, bypassing them from the east, in order to keep away from any trouble.

    Entering Brani parking lot in Makrinitsa, at the end of the asphalt road, we see on our right a kalderimi (cobblestone path) heading uphill. A sign indicating to Pouri can be seen on a tree. It was made on a volunteer basis, along with many others, by the late Pelion hiker, Dimitris Kottalis. One can also start from the fountain in the parking. The kalderimi winds uphill among the village houses, passing by a lone pine tree next to a bench and two fountains and eventually opens to a narrow dirt road, which leads us to the old monastery of Agia Paraskevi.
    Having enjoyed a refreshing stop at that tranquil spot and filled our water supplies from the fountain, we continue uphill on dirt road. After a right turn we find the path on our left. It soon opens to another dirt road turning right to an end. We continue on path with cobblestone sections, climbing into chestnut forest.

    We cross an earth road and further up turn left on another road. Watching on our right side, we find the path again, climbing among chestnut trees. Further up, we walk parallel to a water ditch, noticing another sign to Pouri. Passing next to a water tank, we enter a secondary dirt road, which after a few meters joins the main dirt road coming from Makrinitsa. The location is called Trano Isoma. We continue to the left and in twenty meters reach a junction next to a concrete ditch. The downhill road leads to Makrinitsa-Profitis Elias chapel and Karya stone bridge.We go right, heading northeast on a straight uphill road, passing next to apple tree orchards.

    Further up, we find a marble sign on the left, commemorating the construction of the irrigation ditch bringing water from Flambouro spring in 1938. After a while the ditch turns right, entering into the beech forest. A few meters on, we turn right too, following the path which is marked with red marks, just like the entire trail.
    From a certain point, we have a magnificent distant view of lake Karla to the west. Our course is to the east and after crossing a stream we continue northeast onto a marvellous path. Eventually, we join a dirt road which soon leads us to the bed of Kaliakouda stream. Walking into the wide riverbed, after about four hundred meters the concrete ditch takes a turn from our right side and comes to end at Flambouro spring on the left. There we find the path again and start climbing a rocky slope.

    Walking on the ridge steadily uphill, we come up to an open space, having an excellent view to the east and south. On our left to the east we see Kotroni peak (1550 m.) and to the south peaks Aidonaki (1537 m.) with the telecommunications antenna tower and Pliasidi (1547 m.) with antennas as well, Kokkini Rachi and Rachi Giftou (1340 m.). If the weather allows, a stop here is mandatory.
    A few meters up, we join a narrow abandoned road and go right. Fifty meters on, it joins a wide earth road, (which to the left goes to the western Refuge) and in another fifty meters we reach the asphalt from Hania leading to the radars at Pourianos Stavros peak. After six hundred meters uphill on the asphalt, as the road takes a sharp left turn just under the radars, we go right on a dirt road. After another six hundred meters, on a left turn, we find the path with the red marks crossing the road and head downhill. From this point on, it`s a steady downhill walk until we reach Pouri village.

    In a few meters, we reach another excellent spot with an even broader view. We can see Agriolefkes peak (1470 m.) featuring ski tracks, and behind it Schidzouravli (1450 m.) and Dramala (1455 m.) fading beautifully into the Aegean. Another mandatory stop to enjoy Pelion`s inexhaustible beauty here.
    We continue downhill into dense beech forest walking on the ridge called Kseforti, heading northeast. The path is clear and well marked all along. At some points parallel routes arise, meeting again shortly. Further down, we cross a road (which to the left comes to end at the hunters` hut in Kanalakia area, connecting to the Makrinitsa-West Refuge-Pouri and Makrinitsa-Lagonika-Pouri trails) and then cross another road that heads to Agia Marina chapel. We pass through a clearing locating a concrete pole (1103 m) and further down come across a second clearing on the right.

    Eventually, after crossing another road, the path opens on the upper side of Agia Marina chapel, next to the open tank that collects water coming by a concrete ditch. The church was built over a century ago, following permission to use water from Lagonika spring being allowed to the community of Pouri in 1891, a highly significant event for the village at the time. Water then happened to arrive at the spot on the nameday of St. (Agia) Marina, on the17th of July.
    We continue following the concrete ditch on the right side of the church and reach another open water tank. Walking on a dirt road, we meet a signpost at the junction with the main path to Pouri on the left. It`s a wide downhill path heading northeast, crossing twice a dirt road (we ignore two junctions with paths on the left), passing next to an apple tree orchard on the left and, reaching another apple orchard on our right, it continues straight down towards Pouri. At that point, if we elect to go right into the orchard, we can visit Profitis Elias chapel, a minor detour well worth the trouble.

    In this particular walk, we followed an alternative southern route to visit Profitis Hlias. Instead of entering the path at the signpost, we continued on the road and further on we turned right at a junction marked with red marks. This road in two hundred meters reaching an orchard takes a sharp left turn, crosses a stream and ends. A narrow but visible and marked path continues straight ahead, descending in chestnut forest.

    The path opens to the apple tree orchard mentioned earlier and becomes a narrow earth road. Reaching a signed junction, fifty meters away from the main path which passes at the left (northern) side of the ochard, we turn right and soon find ourselves at Profitis Elias chapel, next to a wooden kiosk. This location offers an excellent view to the villages of Zagora, Chorefto, Anilio and Mouresi, from the Sporades Islands and the Agean Sea down below, up to the overgrown peaks of Kotroni and Pourianos Stavros.
    Going down the road from Profitis Elias, we pass next to orchards and then find easily the path again, which opens to an earth road further down. Reaching a concrete water tank at the end of the road, we go right over a concrete ditch and immediately find the kalderimi, leading to the village central (upper) square containing the main church of Agios Dimitrios.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr
  • Category: easy, sloping
    Length: 3klm.
    Duration: approximately 50 min.
    The route starts from the central road of Portaria-Tsagarada.

    At the central crossing of Mouresi, you will turn left, if you come from Kissos, or right, if you come from Volos, and in 600m. you will see a square.

    Continuing to walk on the same route, in 200m., turning left, you will see the entrance of the cobbles that lead to Damouchari. In 2klm. you will see the beautiful beach of Damouchari, where you can swim, have a cup of coffee and eat.
  • Distance: 5,7 km
    Duration: walking time 1.50 , total time (with stops) 2,5 h.
    Altitude: from 423 m. (Pouri) to sea level
    Signed with: red marks, a few signs
    Drinking water on route: beaches Analipsi, Tourkovrisi, Parisena

    The route at Wikiloc in Google maps

    This is an excellent route, with sections of unique natural beauty offered by the paradise on earth that Pelion mountain is. In the first part we climb on calderimi (cobbled stone way) down to the church of St. John the Baptist (the kato [lower] Ai Giannis, as it is called by the locals), and then walk along the Aegean coastline, passing from several beautiful beaches, to finish at the large tourist beach of Horefto. Here, as well as in Pouri and Zagora of course, one can find restaurants and hotels and we can return by bus (check the timetables at www.ktelvolou.gr). The whole route is clean, except maybe from a tiny section of path near Ai Giannis church, which can be bypassed if necessary.

    At the end of the main asphalt road at Pouri, the bus stops to turn back at a concrete plateau that also serves as a parking lot. From its south edge (in the direction of Zagora) we follow a narrow downhill asphalt road (formerly kalderimi). In a few meters, next to the elementary school, the asphalt turns right and reveals a kalderimi in excellent condition on the left. Further down, it opens to a narrow asphalt next to a plane tree. Walking on the asphalt for 30 m downhill, we find again the kalderimi on the right and continue to descend.

    We cross another asphalt and the kalderimi leads to the graveyard of Pouri. We pass next to a church and after a few meters (attention), watching out for the red marks, turn left downhill into forest. We descend in a beautiful natural scenery, first in forest and then amidst lower vegetation, in alternate sections of kalderimi and path. Eventually, the path opens to an earth road, descending in a southeasterly direction. We pass by a cottage and reach a junction with another road. Here we turn left and in a few meters right to a downhill path. The last time we passed (July 2012), unlike previous times, it was all but blocked by vegetation for 10 meters and we had to clean it with hand tools. If it is blocked indeed, then going back to the road junction we take the road to the right, heading southeast and after 150 m. there is an earth road on the left with a metal door, that after an initial bend leads straight to the church, which we see near the sea next to a few cypresses. The path I mentioned before opens to another earth road that immediately crosses the road to Ai Giannis and we go left.
    In his book A hikers` guide to Mt.Pelion , Nikos Haratsis says referring to Ai Giannis of Pouri: Of all the small country churches of Pelion, I think that this one has unique grace, unique solitude and a unique view of the Aegean. Like a lonesome lighthouse keeper, rooted on this steep rock, twenty meters above the sea. Its only companions are a few trees-walnut, lemon, olive, cypresses-and a small hut beside it. If you walk to the edge of the rock and look to the east, you can see the capes of Horefto, Agios Ioannis of Kissos and Damouchari. Dear Lord, there are not enough hymns to praise this holy place you have blessed us with .
    Coming back from the church, we walk straight on the road, pass through the metal door (it was open anyway) and continue to the left on earth road, that soon becomes concrete and opens to a sharp bend of the asphalt coming from Pouri. Walking on the asphalt downhill, we get to another bend, with a sharp left turn towards Elitsa beach that is nearby. At this point we continue straight ahead on an earth road, and pass a stream over a concrete bridge. At a junction we take the road to the left and pass by the small chapel of Analipsi, newly built, as the stream flooded in recent years and destroyed completely the old church. We then reach the homonymous beach (Analipsi), pass by a taverna near the sea and, just at the end of the beach, after the last house, there is a narrow path on the right climbing the slope. At a junction we head left, walking parallel to the coastline, twenty meters above the sea.

    Soon the path widens and we find ourselves wishing it would never end, due to the striking natural beauty around us. We pass above Tourkovrisi beach and then next to a white shrine, built, as we were told, by a local after he had found an icon into the sea. There are sections of kalderimi on our way, more and more often.
    The kalderimi passes by the renovated old Pantos mansion and opens to the sandy beach of Parisena. This one, like Tourkovrisi, maintain a hippie style, as they are both accessed only by foot, and one can find here free campers and nudists, young and old.

    Walking along Parisena beach on the sand, we find at the other end a path-kalderimi that takes us to the tourist location of Horefto.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr
  • Category: average difficulty
    Length: 8klm.
    Duration: approximately 3 hours
    It is a beautiful mountainous route, and despite the fact most of it is sloping, it requires technical competence, since its slopes are quite sharp, the signposting inadequate and the orientation difficult.

    Starting from the second parking area of the ski resort, you will follow the asphalt road that goes down on the left, between beech trees, to the gully.

    You will meet then the small house of  Lift , and you will go in the east to the cobbles.

    During the route, you will walk several times on asphalt and regional roads, and the paths will be sometimes invisible due to the dense vegetation.
  • Distance: 14,5 km
    Duration: 7 hours with stops (walking time: 5.10 )
    Altitude: from 1300 m. (EOS refuge) to 1470 m. (Agriolefkes) to 490 m. (Tsangarada)
    Signed with: red marks, metal signs
    Drinking water on route: No

    The route at Wikiloc in Google maps

    A classic long trail in Central Pelion, passing by Agriolefkes, Golgothas, Schidzouravli, Dramala and Mega Isoma peaks, heading east to end up at Taxiarchon Square in Tsangarada. It can be undertaken pleasantly during summer, because most of it takes place at high altitude into cool and shady beech forest. It also features some spots offering magnificent views.

    Start is at EOS Volos Alpine Club refuge in Hania ski center. Left to the refuge, next to the marble monument of skier Pappas, we start walking on an uphill dirt road that ends at the wide ski track Panorama. Following the track uphill, we reach the concrete pole of Agriolefkes peak (1470 m). If we dont want to climb to the peak, there is a signed detour path on the opposite side of the track, skipping the peak by the east side.
    Having admired the panoramic view, we continue in the same direction on a downhill path with red marks, which is joined from the left by the detour path described earlier and then climb again to the clearing of Golgothas peak at 1430 m. of altitude. Here in 2004 two F16 fighter jets crashed, killing their four pilots. Searching around, one can still find some debris from the planes.

    Leaving Golgothas, our path heads downhill in a southeast direction. We pass two signed crossings on our right to Agios Lavrentios and Agios Georgios respectively, and then cross a narrow forest road. The area here is called Monastiraki. On the other side of the road, two paths continue, one on the left slightly downhill with blue marks, heading to Lakka Morogianni-Ftiritsa. We take the uphill right one with the red marks, heading east towards Dramala.
    After a while, we leave the main path to the right following the signs (attention!), and climb on a difficult uphill path also featuring a safety rope further up. This was created by hikers in order to reach Schidzouravli peak, as there was no established path going there in the past, because of its rocky nature. Remember that these paths primarily used to serve lumberjacks carrying wood and charcoal by mules. In case we do not want to pass from Schidzouravli, we can continue walking straight ahead on the main path going to Dramala peak.

    Reaching the rocky top, we continue east to get to the concrete pole at the highest point (1450 m.). The view from here is magnificent. To the north, we see Pourianos Stavros peak with military telecommunication buildings, and more westerly Pliasidi, Aidonaki and Agriolefkes peaks. Further on, if the sky is clear, we can see Kissavos, Olympus and Athos mountains. Turning south, we see Dirfis mountain of Evia and west, Othrys, Parnassus and Pindus mountains. Pagasiticos Gulf and the Aegean Sea complete the picture.

    After getting enough of this natural beauty, a hard task to achieve, we continue east following the red marks and find ourselves again in beech forest. Walking steadily in an easterly direction, we pass a junction with a downhill path to the right going to Agios Georgios and soon reach a large clearing with ferns. Walking slightly uphill, a little further on we find the concrete pole marking Dramala peak (1455 m.).
    From there, the path continues into beech forest again, and soon changes direction to the south going downhill. A path coming from Mouresi joins in from the left. Then we walk on open ground, having a view of the peaks to the west. We soon reach a crossing with a sign, where we go left uphill towards Tsangarada, changing direction to east-northeast. The other path here on the right continues downhill to Agios Georgios.

    After a little while, we cross a small clearing, walking on flat terrain through dense beech forest. The location here is called Mega Isoma. Heading steadily east-northeast, we start descending on the ridge and the beech trees grow taller and taller. The path is not very clear, but red marks on the trees help us find the way. Coal pits and letters engraved on trees indicate presence of lumberjacks in the past. Enormous one-piece rocks next to really big beech trees create an impressive scenery, especially on a foggy day. One wonders, could there still be some Centaurs hiding around here?

    As we continue downhill, the marks lead us to a natural balcony (or vigla) at 1090 m. Here the view is so captivating, we find it difficult to leave. In front and beneath us is the deep gully of Milopotamos overgrown with chestnut and beech trees. On the left the first houses of Tsangarada and Xourichti. At a distance on the right, we can see the village of Neochori, built on a slope facing west. Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos lie side by side into the vast Aegean Sea on the east. This magnificent spot is by itself enough reason for someone to walk on this trail.

    However, comes a time when we must continue. Descending steadily on the slope, guided by the red marks, we cross a narrow forest road to the right and then reach another road and follow it downhill. The path continues on the left and further down opens to a road, on which we walk left downhill. In a few meters we join a wider earth road and go right. (to the left it goes to Agios Athanasios en Atho chapel). This road ultimately comes from Tsangarada.

    Watching for it on our left, we immediately find the path, which further down opens to the road (go past a chain) and again in a few meters we find it on our left, cutting corners. After reaching the road again, we continue to descend until we see on the left side a ruined hut and a small metal shrine (attention!). At this point we turn right, next to an electricity pole on a narrow road-kalderimi (cobblestone) and in thirty meters go left at a concrete water tank, following the red arrow.
    Walking downhill on cobblestone among the first houses of Tsangarada village, we finally cross at an angle the main asphalt road and arrive at Taxiarchon square, which lies beneath the road.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr
  • Distance: 10 km
    Duration: 3,5 hours (incl. stops)
    Altitude: 64 m. (maximum)
    Marking: small round signs, red spots
    Drinking water on the route: no

    The route at Wikiloc in Google maps

    A tour on the idyllic beaches of South Pelion from Horto up to Lefokastro. Someone called it "the ring of Heaven"! The best time to walk it is in the winter or early spring (the photographs were taken in February), perhaps because it is easier then to resist the temptation of removing our clothes and jumping into the sea of ​​Pagasitikos, which calls us like a siren in her arms. If we have enough strength, we can ascend from Lefokastro to Argalasti and then descend back to Horto, thus completing the circle with another 3 hours of walking (about 6,5 hours total). We can still go to Argalasti earlier, from Kalamos or Paou, saving 1 or 2 hours respectively (see the respective routes). There are places to eat and drink at Lefokastro, Argalasti and Horto.

    Starting from the entrance of Horto, we walk for two hundred meters on the uphill asphalt road that leads to Argalasti and then, observing the round yellow signs of the Friends of the Kalderimi, we go left to a concrete road that descends between cottages and tourist accommodation. The road becomes a paved footpath that runs close to the beach Pagania. After the paved section, we walk on earth path through low bushes and olive trees.

    After a while we descend to Megali Paou beach and walk along the seaside. At the other end, at the back of the last house, there is a path that climbs on the slope next to a fence and opens to a concrete road ending at the entrance of private property. Originally, the path would continue through the property towards Mikri Paou, but at present time it is lost, blocked by fences, so we continue uphill on the concrete road that opens to the narrow asphalt road coming from Paou monastery. Walking on the asphalt downhill, we reach Mikri Paou beach.

    Halfway through the beach, on the right side of a small stream, we notice the path climbing to Paou monastery and Argalasti. At the end of the beach a narrow earth road continues parallel to the coastline. There is a water pipe underground, bringing water from Panagiotiko dam as far as Trikeri. Unfortunately, digging the earth for the pipe with heavy tools led to the obliteration of the existing path. One wonders, wasn`t it possible to preserve the path by choosing another course for the pipe? Why the authorities did not consider any alternatives?
    Walking along the coastline, a few meters above the sea, we reach an olive grove and cross it to find the wide path again and then, walking aside to a property boundary, we arrive at the concrete path that leads left to the beach of Belian, a few meters below. On the right there is a cottage. We walk to the beach and on the other side we climb a trail that leads us on a rural road next to a newly built cottage. We follow the road and come on the asphalt which goes downhill and leads us to the beach of Kalamos.
    Following the beach, we leave the junction with the kalderimi to Argalasti on the right, and then walk on the road that runs between the houses. We cross the stream of Rodia over a pedestrian bridge and reach the beach north of the stream. At the other end of the beach a path continues and soon becomes earth road heading to the north among olive groves in the area called Kalogria. Another road joins at an angle from the right and after a while we approach the sea again and come to the beautiful small beach of Agios Sostis, next to the bulletin board of the local club.

    At the other end of the beach, we find the path with the red signs that goes uphill and follow it. The trail brings us to a bar that blocks the entrance to a property. We walk for a few meters down on a narrow rural road and turn right. Here we meet again the water pipe running underground over the course of the trail, having altered it permanently. We pass next to a newly built villa and soon arrive at another beach which is just south of Lefokastro. We descend to the beach on a path and at the other end find a kalderimi that goes uphill, passing by an old fountain dating from 1777 and reach the asphalt. On the other side a kalderimi continues uphill to Argalasti (one hour and half to go). If we walk on the asphalt downhill, after three hundred meters we will find ourselves at the seaside settlement of Lefokastro.

    Text and photos belong to walking-pilion.blogspot.gr




"Dear Guests ,

this year there are direct flights to Volos from Amsterdam, Brussels, London, Munich, and Vienna. There are also flights to Skiathos from Luton, Gatwick and Stansted, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle, and Nottingham.
After spending time in Greece this summer, I’ve constantly been slammed by questions from travelers with one eye on their vacations and another on Greece’s financial crisis.
Is it safe to travel to Greece right now?
 


 
 
site created and hosted by